The contrast between black text and a light background can make it difficult to read, especially in the early morning or late evening. You can turn on the dark mode in Microsoft Outlook to relieve eye strain. You can switch between dark mode and other color settings in Outlook manually or let Outlook follow your Windows settings.
How To Turn on Dark Mode in Outlook
- Turning on dark mode in Outlook is as simple as changing the color scheme to Black
- Select File from the toolbar in Outlook. It will take you to the Account Information page.
- Click Office Account from the sidebar on the left.
- Click the dropdown menu and select Black from the Office Theme options.
- To return to the inbox, click the back button on the top left corner of the window.
How To Turn Off Dark Mode in Outlook
Toggle the dark theme on and off for the current message when Outlook is using the dark theme. At the top of the message window, click the Switch Background button to the left of the Reply button. Depending on whether you have turned dark mode on or off for that message, the button changes from looking like a lightbulb to being a moon. To disable the dark theme entirely, please follow these steps:
- Click File and then Options in the toolbar.
- Office Themes can be found in the section Personalize your copy of Microsoft Office under the General tab.
- Choose White from the dropdown menu.
- Click the box to prevent background colors from ever-changing.
You will not be able to toggle the message background to Black, even if you turn on the black Office Theme later.
How To Use Dark Mode in Outlook.Com or Outlook on The Web
You can also enable dark mode in Outlook if you use a web browser.
- Open Outlook.com or Outlook on the web in any web browser.
- Click Settings (at the top of the page) using the gear-shaped icon.
- Select Dark mode in the panel that appears after clicking Settings. After the button is turned on, the display goes dark, and the button slides to the right.
Individual messages’ light and dark modes can be toggled once dark mode is enabled. Click on the left-hand side of the reply button next to a message window. Whether dark mode is enabled or disabled for that message, the button looks like a light bulb or a moon.
Click on the right-hand side of the reply button next to a message window. Whether dark mode is enabled or disabled for that message, the button looks like a light bulb or a moon. You can also use keyboard shortcuts to toggle between light and dark modes: Option+Spacebar (Mac) Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Spacebar (Windows). If you’re using macOS Mojave, you can also enable dark mode globally in the system preferences: Open System Preferences, Click on General Select Dark Mode. You can also enable dark mode in some apps by following these instructions:
In Gmail, click the menu icon at the window’s top right corner, then select Settings. Click on Themes Select Dark Theme in Safari, click the menu icon at the top right corner of the window, then select Preferences Click on Display Select Light Theme. If you’d like to see more information about dark mode, check out our guide to customize your Mac in dark mode. How to Enable Light Mode in iOS 13 has a new feature called “Night Shift,” which automatically changes the color temperature of your screen when you’re using it at night.